The underarm area is one of the body parts that are prone to darkening. For females who often wear tank tops, it is quite embarrassing to expose dark underarms. There are several ways to keep underarms whiter. But, before that, here are the main causes of dark armpits:
What causes dark armpits?
- deodorants and antiperspirants (chemical irritants)
- dead skin cell accumulation (lack of exfoliation)
- friction (wearing tight clothes)
- smoker’s melanosis (hyperpigmentation due to smoking)
- hyperpigmentation (increased melanin)
- acanthosis nigricans (signs of diabetes, obesity, abnormal hormone levels)
- erythrasma (bacterial infection)
- melasma (dark patches on the skin)
- shaving (irritation and abrasion)
Steps in Lightening Underarms
- Change your deodorant brand. Look for some natural alternative or you can stop using deodorants altogether if you are not prone to smell. Baking soda or apple cider vinegar are a few of the natural alternatives you can use.
- Instead of shaving, you can opt for waxing or laser hair removal. Shaving is a poignant culprit of dark armpits.
- Exfoliate your underarms. You can use a body scrub or underarm scrub at least three times a week.
- Wear loose clothes and try to avoid tight-fit tops.
- Stop smoking.
How to lighten underarms naturally?
Grate a potato and squeeze the juice and apply it onto your underarms. Let it sit for ten minutes and rinse it with cool water.
Cut thick slices of cucumber and rub them straight to your underarms. Leave them for ten minutes and rinse with cool water.
Cut thick slices of lemon and rub them for three minutes each. Leave them for another ten minutes and rinse your armpit with cool water. Dry your underarms and apply moisturiser.
Mix a tablespoon of milk, rosewater, and powdered orange peel and make a thick paste. Gently scrub the mixture onto your armpits and leave it for about fifteen minutes. Rinse it off with cool water and repeat the process two to three times a week.
Mix two tablespoons of fresh lemon juice and turmeric to make a paste. Apply the mixture evenly onto your underarms and leave it for thirty minutes.
Massage egg oil onto your armpit before bedtime. Wash it off the next morning using a pH-balanced body wash.
Massage a few drops of coconut oil and leave it for fifteen minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water and mild soap. Repeat this process at least twice a day.
Tea Tree Oil
Mix five drops of tea tree oil with eight ounces of water. Place the mixture in a spray bottle and spray it onto your armpits. Let it dry naturally and do the process every bath.
Medical Treatments for Armpit Lightening
- topical creams or lotions containing hydroquinone, tretinoin, corticosteroids, azelaic acid, or kojic acid
- laser therapy to remove pigment
- chemical peels with alpha hydroxy acids and beta hydroxy acids for exfoliation of the skin
- dermabrasion or microdermabrasion
White underarms will give you the confidence to wear any clothes you want. It will give you the confidence to wear that swimwear you have meaning to wear. White underarms is a sign of good hygiene. It is important to take care of our body to be beautiful not only on the inside but also out.